I recently watched the ArtWorks Scotland program on two of Scotland's most influential and internationally renowned photographers, Harry Benson and Albert Watson. Glasgow boy Benson is a photojournalist who gained notoriety when he was assigned to photography an up and coming band called The Beatles. He struck me as a modest man but singularly focussed on getting the picture by being in the right place at the right time. His view that "photography is the moment, it's spontaneous", contrasts with the approach of Albert Watson who takes great care and time to construct his images. Watson, born in Edinburgh, trained as a graphic designer and film-maker and his strong design sense is very evident in his stylised approach. I was privileged to see his work at Edinburgh City Art Centre a few years ago.
Harry Benson
Albert Watson
The banter between the two was entertaining, as they revealed some secrets of how their most famous shots were captured. What came across most was their dedication, lifelong conviction and absolute passion for photography.
The Beatles pillow fight (Harry Benson)
Jack Nicholson (Albert Watson)
I shall take inspiration from both photographers when working on my Sense of Place Assignment. Benson's book 'Harry Benson's Glasgow' perfectly captures the humour and friendly attitude of its inhabitants.
Albert Watson's images from his travels in Las Vegas are so bold and graphic in their use of colour, shape and form. I hope to emulate this style in some of my images of Glasgow.






No comments:
Post a Comment