Saturday, 8 August 2009

Ex 15: Public Space, Spain, August 2009

I used our holiday in Denia to start thinking about the People Unaware project . Pavement cafe culture is an integral part of Spanish life so we took a table and began people watching. I used my compact camera as I thought it would be less conspicuous but as it was a Sunday morning, the cafe was not overly busy and I felt quite uncomfortable that people would notice me using the camera. I had hoped I could use a longer focal length to take pictures across the street but unfortunately the tables were only on one side of the street.



I then tried walking down the street, shooting 'from the hip' but my aim was not that great! I do like the idea of this random technique and intend to try it again in Glasgow - maybe a busy shopping area such as Buchanan Street.

Next we wandered round the backstreet, around 9am, before the sun was too strong. I like the shot of the local man walking down the street, perhaps to join his friends in the cafe or to get the morning bread.



Then to the beach. Very few people seemed to have cameras and again, given everyone's concerns about photographs of children, I felt very uncomfortable using the camera. It's a real shame as the beach was so vibrant and full of life. Family groups making sandcastles and splashing in the sea. People reading books in assorted languages, suggesting that many nationalities enjoy a common recreation. In the end managed a few shots from the promenade around midday and then early the next morning, before the crowds arrive. I like the contrast they give. The busy shot show how close people are prepared to be to each other to claim their space on the beach. With the other shots, I tried to capture the appeal of sitting on a quiet beach, close to the water's edge, staring out at the clear blue sea, dreaming of. . .





No comments:

Post a Comment