Ex 18: How space changes with light Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.
George Eastman
It's interesting to observe how the same location takes on a different character depending on the light and time of day. I photographed my conservatory to study this effect.
In overcast daylight conditions the light is flat but even. A portrait would be flattering in this light but lacking any drama. Opening the blinds on a sunny day, interesting shadow form and the light catches edges of furniture, bringing more depth to the scene.
The left-hand shot was taken late afternoon. The room looks warmer and the shadows are richer, there is more contrast to the scene. Casting long shadows with an ornament, a plant or just one chair might be interesting. In the right hand shot I positioned the blinds to direct the light, which created a strongly defined pattern on the floor. This could have graphic possibilities, perhaps shooting from a low angle or from above.
Lighting the conservatory with an uplighter (left) wasn't very successful as the light source appears harsh. It's far too intense, so would need some form of diffussion. However, I do like the effect of light coming down from above. Using a small anglepoise lamp (right), shining from right to left, gives a colder lighting effect, due to the halogen bulb. Shadows are much deeper and falling on the walls rather than the floor. This style of lighting could be effective for a low key portrait but I would prefer a narrower area of light, darkening the surroundings.
My conservatory is not perhaps the most photogenic location but the exercise did show the importance of considering different lighting conditions. Sometimes you may be lucky to be in the right place at the right time but more often than not it will be important to visit a location several times. It also made me consider the way ambient light can dictate the mood of a photograph. As Eastman suggests, a better understanding of how light works can unlock limitless creative potential for the photographer.
Formal Assessment - People & Place
-
Well I received my formal notification of my results for People & Place 1
last night. I was very pleased to see I have passed with a Class 1 again,
the sam...
14 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment