![]() |
| Rue Mouffetard, 1954 |
![]() |
| FRANCE. The Var department. Hyères. |
Looking at the two parts to photographing the moment, deciding what it should be can be achieved by observation, patience, sometimes luck and being in the right place at the right time but capturing it can be a totally different challenge — frustrating, disappointing but ultimately rewarding when you get a good shot.
A controlled photoshoot with a relaxed model can certainly yield great results as the subject acts and poses as requested. But candid photography relies on the observational skills and quick thinking of the photographer and indeed the camera! Many times I have seen 'the shot' but have been too slow to capture it or didn't have the camera on suitable settings. I do think Bresson and his contemporaries had a slight advantage shooting film. A click and the shot was instantaniously recorded on film. I have found the delay on my SLR, slight as it is, enough to miss the precise moment I hoped to capture.
My niece, Skye, cuddling teddy, unaware I am photographing her.
Seconds later she spots me and immediately plays to the camera!
My post featuring the singer Horse also explores capturing moment and gesture.




No comments:
Post a Comment