Sunday, 18 October 2009

Ex 1: Portrait, scale and setting

Some aspects of this exercise worked and others didn't. David felt quite akward being 'posed' which is apparent in many of the pictures, although I feel some do successfully hint at his character. I prepared by collecting portait examples from the weekend suppliments and looking at a variety of magazines.

The close crop shots work well as the background is defocused and not prominent but as the shots pull back the foliage becomes too fusy, so perhaps the garden was a poor choice of setting. The weather was dull and overcast, giving less than flattering light.

I intend to repeat the exercise which, with a bit more thought, should yeild better results.

1 FACE, CROPPED IN CLOSE








Nikon D90, Aperture priority F5.6, 98mm, ISO 200
I think the viewer would think this to be a warm, friendly person with a cheeky smile. The head tilted to one side, with direct eye contact creates a relaxed rapport.

2 HEAD AND SHOULDERS



 

 Nikon D90, Aperture priority F4.8, 45mm, ISO 200
Shooting from below gives David an elevated status, reinforced by a more serious look. The viewer is still engaged by direct eye contact, although the eyes are not as prominent. Now, the background starts to detract from the subject.

3 TORSO


Nikon D90, Aperture priority F4.2, 30mm, ISO 200
30mm is too wide an angle for a 'normal' torso shot. The perspective makes his head disproportionately small compared to the body and the facial expression is lost.

4 FULL FIGURE


 

Nikon D90, Aperture priority F4, 26mm, ISO 200
I like the seated pose but the background is far too busy and similar in colour/tone to the subject.
I should also have placed him off-centre, looking into the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment