Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Ex 9: A comfortable situation

I attended Scotland's Festival of History at Lanark Racecourse on August 22nd. My primary objective was to use my 55-200mm lens to try to get candid photographs of the spectators and participants. Using a medium-long focal length to keep my distance, I hoped to feel more comfortable and less intrusive than I had at the Ayr Flower Show. I used aperture priority and portrait mode, giving a shallow depth of field, to defocus the cluttered backdrops of cars, tents and spectators.

The day went better than I could have imagined. The reenactors were expecting to have their picture taken so were friendly and quite happy to pose, which quickly put me at ease. They went about their business in the living history camps, so candid shots were plentiful.

I think the fact I didn't feel uncomfortable taking the pictures enabled me to get some great shots. I am very pleased with the results and intend to return next year with greater confidence.

















Nikon D40, F5.6, 150mm, ISO 200


Nikon D40, F4.8, 116 mm, ISO 200




Nikon D40, F5.6, 200 mm, ISO 360

 

Nikon D40, F4, 55 mm, ISO 250 



Nikon D40, F5.6, 200 mm, ISO 200 




Nikon D40, F5.6, 116 mm, ISO 200 




Nikon D40, F6.3, 55 mm, ISO 200 




Nikon D40, F4.3, 80 mm, ISO 360 

No comments:

Post a Comment