A photographer can use this information to make lens choices depending on the style of image required. Wide angle lenses have a short focal length and telephoto lenses are associated with a narrower angle of view and foreshortening of distant objects.
At 18mm, I only needed to stand approx 1m away from David to get his torso in shot. This close proximity was slightly intimidating for the subject, so not the best solution for portaiture. The lens takes in more of the scene but there is some distortion to his features and the surroundings, which can be clearly seen by the converging verticals of the window frame and the brickwork. A wide angle lens would really only be suitable if an exaggerated perspective was required.
18mm, F16, ISO 200, 1m from subject
Using a 'standard' focal length of 50mm, David looks more natural, as I was now positioned approx 2m away, he was more comfortable and relaxed. I was within distance to engage with the subject without invading their space. The window frame now looks straight, as we would expect. If David had been some distance from the wall, a shalllow depth of field effect would have been possible due to the narrow plane of sharp focus.
50mm, F16, ISO 200, 2m from subject
At 105mm I had to stand over 3m away from David to keep the same framing. I felt I was loosing communication with the subject and he has changed pose and looks less engaged as a result. With this focal length and above, perspective will start to appear flattened, which may make features look less attractive.
105mm, F16, ISO 200, 3m



No comments:
Post a Comment