Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Ex 8: Varying Pose

I spent some time collecting images of people in a variety of poses and it struck me how gender specific many appeared. Body language was also very apparent. In editorial features this gave some incling as to the subject's personality or impression they wished to convey to suit the article. In fashion shots varying poses and styling sells clothes and implies an attitude to match.

So, I had lots of inspiration but nobody willing to pose for me! Luckily I met Claire who is the nicest, most outgoing person. She had never done a studio shoot before and was really keen to help me out. We set up a very basic, evenly lit studio and I showed her the images I had cut from magazines.

STANDING
We began with the standing shots as I felt they would be easiest and help us both relax into the shoot. I suggested she used a hat as a prop, which helped her to vary the poses.






SITTING
I would have liked a variety of seating options, especially to try relaxed sofa shots,  but was unfortunately limited to a wooden chair. The chair had the effect of calming Claire down slightly - but she still insisted on doing a headstand on it!


The pose above is interesting because in my reference shot the actress was leaning forward on a sofa, hands clasped, looking to camera and smiling. It looked very natural and open. Claire is looking away with her hands holding the chair which just makes her look awkward.



I like the top shot as her arms and legs are following the shape of the chair. It gives a passing nod to Lewis Morley's shot of Christine Keeler, albeit clothed!

FLOOR
Finally we tried some shots on the floor. I like these the best as Claire has relaxed and not so extrovert. Her real personality is beginning to shine through.


All in all I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this exercise, which was entirely due to Claire's bubbly personality and enthusiasm. On reflection I wish I had taken more care over the lighting and asked Claire to dress in more colourful clothing. Perhaps though her neutral outfit allows us to consider the poses without any distractions.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really great series! The point was to practice the different poses so I would worry about the lighting next time.. How easy (or not) was it to direct Claire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Claire looked at the magazine images, then did her own thing based on what she saw. I did direct her to specific poses but would definitely not have got such good results with someone less lively. I have learned from previous exercises to establish a rapport with the subject and to keep talking. We immediately got on, did the shoot in less than 30 mins and had great fun in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great set of photos - it's obvious she is having fun and is relaxed, so good work! I find that so difficult :)

    ReplyDelete