Friday, 30 July 2010

ASSIGNMENT 1: A COMPREHENSIVE PORTRAIT

I chose my husband David, as the subject for this assignment. Most people on the People and Place course seem to choose family or close friends for this first assignment, probably because it's convenient and possibly a 'safe' option, as we are perhaps not yet confident photographing strangers. That was certainly my viewpoint but I also wanted to capture something of David's personality and interests, especially his love of outdoor activities, mainly walking and cycling. This has meant the assignment has taken a long time as some activities were seasonal. I also confess to dragging my heels as the pictures were completed some months ago but I have been reluctant to submit the work for assessment. I am not sure of the reason for this — perhaps a lack of confidence? I had not attempted any portraiture before embarking on this course but I suppose that's what it's all about – to get you out of your comfort zone and try new things. . .

Robin Gillanders (The Photographic Portrait, p18) states 'photography requires a context.' This was my aim - I didn't want to to take a picture that was technically competent or styled but ultimately meaningless, I wanted to take one that told you something about David. Again Gillanders says, 'some of the best portaits imply a narrative.'

I have nine images I think suitable so now have to narrow them down for submission. Some have been more sucessful than others, the action shots are not as dramatic as I envisaged and in hindsight I should have taken time to explore the notion that a portrait does not always need to include the face. Hopefully I will revisit these ideas after my tutor feedback.

I still have some Photoshop work to do, the kilt image in particular has to be aged. Any thoughts and comments most welcome as this might spur me on to actually submitting the work!






No comments:

Post a Comment