The technique, know as 'subjective camera' is also common in film making, the idea being to put the camera in the place of the viewer, recording the scene from their viewpoint. The opposite technique 'objective camera' has the viewer observing from the sidelines — an onlooker capturing the image. An example would be the view a car driver has of the road as opposed to watching the car passing by from the roadside.
I decided to try this exercise at the weekend when 18 members of my walking club were staying in a small cottage. These gatherings are very sociable so I hoped to capture some close and involved images. I kept my zoom lens at 18mm (approx 26mm equivalent) and fired away. I used 400 ISO as I was shooting in low light and hoped to avoid using on-camera flash, since I would be so close to my subjects.
Afternoon in the cottage. A much wider scene is captured using 18mm, giving a good overview of the surroundings.
In the queue to get dinner. I like the way the wide angle captures the scene but being so close you can't control unwanted item, such as a wooden spoon, from popping into the shot.
Looking at this picture I feel I am in the queue for the food (which indeed I was!)
I positioned myself at the same level as the diners to give the sense of sitting at the table with them.
I think the same scene from standing becomes more objective and less involved.
Staying seated to take the pictures kept a sense of involvement. Having the camera with me all night meant people got used to seeing it and relaxed — a glass of wine or 2 may have also helped with this! Not aiming the camera directly at them also helped and it's interesting to note that the people sitting opposite me were much more aware of the camera and posed accordingly (see below)
The ladies didn't notice me holding the camera down low resulting in a more candid picture.
Perhaps I cheated slightly with this exercise, chosing to work in a comfortable situation with people I know. I don't think I have a set of particularly strong images but think using a wide-angle approach could produce some interesting images given a bit of thought and practise. I also think I would have struggled to attempt this out on the street but will give it a try next visit to town.
Some of the difficulties with this technique:
- working very close to people they either avoid the camera or pose
- candid close-ups may not be flattering
- distracting objects creep into the frame
- could make you feel very uncomfortable photographing strangers
- real sense of being part of the action
- wide angle takes in more of the scene
- could be used to great effect if controlled








No comments:
Post a Comment