Sunday, 19 June 2011

Horse

A break in the rain last night was just enough to tempt me along to the East Kilbride Artburst Music Festival to see one of my favourite singer/songwriters Horse McDonald.

I have seen her on several occassions at indoor venues where taking good photographs is not that feasible, so I took along my SLR and 55-200mm lens hoping to get some better shots. The outdoor event was jumping but I was able to get close enough to the stage to capture the images below. She came onstage at 9.30pm so limited ambient light meant cranking up the ISO to 800. The conditions meant it was difficult to avoid motion blur and since she is a very 'active' performer quite a few excellent shots suffered from unavoidable blur and camera shake. I did not use my flashgun as I was still too far away from the stage for it to be effective.

This is my first time  attempt at 'band' photography with my SLR and I am pleased with the results. Next time I would know to stand to the side of the stage as centre on meant her face was obscured by the microphone, making for much less effective shots.

The techniques I have learned during the course are hugely helpful, as I now really take time to consider how I should take pictures of people, both from an aesthetic and technical perspective.








No comments:

Post a Comment